All Byron Park District aquatic activities are held in the Byron High School Swimming Pool which is open to the entire community! The Byron High School pool is the perfect pool for lap swimming and water walking. The Byron High School Swimming Pool is a six lane 25 yard indoor pool equipped with a one meter diving board. Pool depth ranges from 4 ft. to 12 ft.
Group Swim Lessons
Why our curriculum works!
The Byron Park District's swim lesson curriculum combines expertise from the American Red Cross, Swim Lesson University, World Aquatic Babies & Children Network and USA Swimming Agencies. This curriculum has a greater focus on earlier progression of the front crawl stroke utilizing in-line body positioning (face in water) with a delayed focus on the backstroke. Plus, all instructors complete a comprehensive child-centered training program, in which they learn the progressions of each stroke and interactive teaching techniques!
Times and fees vary by class. Register early as classes fill quickly.
Private Swim Lessons
The Byron Park District offers private 1-on-1 swim lessons. Lessons are based on instructor availability. If you are interested in private swim lessons, please contact Nick Warrner at 815-234-6218 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lifeguard Training Class
The American Red Cross Lifeguard Training course teaches lifeguard candidates the skills and knowledge needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. The lifeguard course is a blended learning course, which combines online learning with in-person skills sessions. Participants will receive the link for the online learning website by the first class date. Upon successful completion of written and skill tests, participants will receive a Lifeguarding with CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid certifications valid for 2 years. Located at the BHS Swimming Pool and Park District Conference Room (meet at conference room).
Ages: 15+ (by 3/17/24)
Instructor: Carrie Stralow
Registration Deadline: 2/19/24
- Swim 300 yards continuously, using front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both. Swimming on the back or side is not allowed.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive to a depth of 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, and swim 20 yards on your back to the starting point, place object on deck and get out of the pool within 1 min. 40 sec. When returning to the starting point, one must hold the 10-pound object with both hands and must keep his/her face above the water.
- 5:30-7:00 pm Wednesday, 2/28/24 - Prerequisites
- 5:30-7:30 pm Monday, 3/4/24 - Surveillance, Injury, Prevention, Entries & Approaches
- 5:30-8:30 pm Wednesday, 3/6/24 - Water Rescues
- 5:30-8:30 pm Monday, 3/11/24 - Breathing Emergencies, CPR & AED
- 5:30-9:00 pm Wednesday, 3/13/24 - First Aid, Head & Back Injuries
- Noon-5:00 pm Sunday, 3/17/24 - Final Written, CPR & Water Skills Test
Lifeguard Renewal ClassThis American Red Cross Course is intended for lifeguards whose certification(s) will expire soon or has recently expired. The course includes a review/practice session followed by a challenge test. Upon successful completion of prerequisites, written and skill tests, participants will receive a Lifeguarding, First Aid, and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer certification that is valid for 2 years. Please note that all components (LG, FA & CPR/AED) must be renewed during this course, even if some are still current.Ages: 15+ (by 3/17/24)
Date & Time: Noon-4:00 pm Wednesday, 12/20/23
Registration Deadline: 12/15/23